A face with soft pink lips can simply brighten up anyone’s face by adding a warm friendly smile on it. We would agree that our lips are the most delicate part on our face which serves as proof in the extreme temperatures and dry weather of our country. Most of us experience chapped lips and dryness at some point during the year; also it’s a big turn off to see our lips suffer from annoying, painful cracks. The well hydrated, smooth and pinkish tinged lips indicate its good health which needs an appropriate care routine. We keep abreast of such oral health needs of our communities, so here are a few tips about how to keep your lips healthy, kissable, and free to eat and drink whatever you crave!
Do you have Dry, Chapped, or Cracked Lips? Not sure?
Here are some telltale signs that help you find out:
- Sensitive or painful lips
- Smiling hurts
- You lick your lips often
- Your lips show clear signs of peeling or cracking
- You bleed from the corners of your mouth
- You have open sores or marks on your lips
Reasons for Cracked Lips :
Environmental factors such as climate change, sun damage, and wind exposure can cause dry, chapped and cracked lips. Further cracked lips can also be the result of skin disorders, medication side effects and allergic reactions. Serious conditions such as Sjogren’s syndrome, diabetes or sexually transmitted infections (STIs) may also cause chronic dry lip problems.
If you are a person unaffected by the conditions listed above but still have chapped lips, it could be due to some other reasons such as dehydration, smoking cigarettes, chewing tobacco, spicy food or poorly-fitted dental appliances.
Here are some tips for healing your cracked lips:
- Most importantly stay hydrated! Lips are incapable of producing their own oils, thus drink 8-10 glasses of water per day and be aware of anything else you drink that will cause dehydration such as alcohol. Further keep them moisturized by lip balms with shea butter or oils.
- Use ointments regularly under proper guidance by professionals, especially before you go to bed and avoid lip balms with eucalyptus and menthol.
- Don’t lick your lips! Natural moisture of your lips is removed, as saliva evaporates from them. Licking your lips often will dry out your lips even more.
- Exfoliating your lips can also help remove the accumulate dead skins on it similar to your face which needs to be removed for having hydrated and supple lips. Thus using mild scrubs on lips can help you achieve smooth and supple lips.
- Don’t overuse harsh commercial skin treatments such as heavily flavored lip balms and other lip cosmetics with high chemical content, rather choose more natural products.
- Eat right! A diet plan plays an important role in the wellbeing of your overall body and one lacking in Vitamins A, B, C, B2, and E can lead to cracked lips.
- Design a lip care routine for your lips just like you have one for your body and hair.
- Visit your doctor twice a year for your routine checkups and cleanings.
Our lips deserve utmost care and attention since they are most sensitive and continuously exposed part to various atmospheric agents. It is quite normal to have chapped and dry lips during both summer and winter season. Whether it is the harsh sun, the wind or the make-up products, by following the above mentioned routine one can easily maintain healthy, soft and toned lips.
Also, if you are facing any kind of issues related to cracked or chapped lips which needs guidance, we come to your rescue by helping you during your visits or through telemedicine portals and making sure that you go back home armed with instructions on keeping your lips moist and healthy.
For further details contact Dr.Ali’s Sana Dental Care, Rahatgarh Bus Stand, Sagar in order to schedule an appointment today!
The content on this blog is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of a qualified health provider with questions you may have regarding medical conditions.